Cooking the rice in chicken broth makes it extra-delicious, while the pumpkin seeds lend a satisfying crunch.
- 1 c. wild rice, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 c. long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 3/4 c. shredded peeled carrot
- 2 c. roasted unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine wild rice and 4 cups water. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to gentle simmer. Cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender, adjusting heat to maintain
- Meanwhile, in 6-quart saucepot on medium, cook garlic in oil 2 minutes or until golden, stirring. Add white rice. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 25 minutes, adjusting heat to maintain simmer. Remove from heat; let stand, covered,5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Add wild rice to white rice along with carrot and pepitas; fold until well combined.
315 cals, 8 g protein, 48 g carbs, 10 g fat (2 g sat), 2 g fiber, 295 mg sodium.