Introduction To Migraine
A migraine is a severe form of a headache that can really knock you out of your feet. It is very important for you to catch the headache in time for you to stop it before it starts. But, many people suffering from migraine will not be able to easily understand the signs that a migraine is coming and have to undergo the severe headache and pain. Some of the reasons for migraine are: stress and tension, allergies, exhaustion, cold and flu, strong perfumes smell, bright lights, alcohol and excess consumption of chocolates or caffeine. So, if you are able to catch the development of migraines early, then you can try out the following home remedies to alleviate severe headaches.
Home Remedies For Migraine
Caffeine drinks are known to increase migraines.
- Avoid soft drinks or other drinks that are rich in caffeine.
- You can take plain water or consume black tea or green tea in spite of caffeinated drinks.
2. Smell Peppermint
There are certain smells that trigger headaches. But, peppermint smell will aid in reducing head pains.
- If you somehow sniff strong perfumes, then make sure that you sniff peppermint as soon as possible as it has properties to mask the less pleasant smells.
Ginger is known for its anti inflammatory and digestive properties.
- Ginger small can help to reduce nausea which might induce migraine.
- You can also consume ginger black tea every day in the morning and evening to alleviate head pain.
4. Rubbing Temples
Simple rubbing of the head might help in reducing migraine pain.
- If you sense slight head pain, just rub your temples and massage it gently to relieve you from head pain.
- You can also use some pain balm on your head and apply it gently on both sides of the temples gently to alleviate pain.
5. Whole Body Massage
A whole body massage once a week will help to relieve stress and tension and reduce migraine.
- Having a full body massage with oil will be a perfect de-stresser and will relieve you from triggers of headaches regularly.
- Warm olive oil with gingelly oil mixture and apply it generously to your whole body. Ask your better half to massage gently for 10 minutes. Take a good warm bath after 15 minutes to feel fresh.
One of the easy ways to de-stress and to relax your body and mind is to meditate.
- Meditating for half and hour a day is a proven stress reliever and will help you to free away from migraine pain to a large extent.
- Make sure that you meditate every day to see effective results.
7. Cool Head And Warm Your Body
People suffering from migraine say that they feel their head area to be hot and cloudy whereas their body to be cold during bouts of migraine. So, try the reverse as a remedy.
- Cool your head by using the cold compress technique of wrapping cubes of ice in a towel and applying it to your forehead and temples.
- At the same time, dip your body in a tub of warm water and carry out this procedure for 15 to 20 minutes.
- You will see a reduction in your headache and do this once every week to prevent severe migraine attacks.
8. Light Exercise
Being active is an effective way to prevent and treat migraines.
- Make sure that you do light to moderate exercises for 20 to 30 minutes every five days of a week to prevent migraines from catching you.
- Exercise combined with meditation will offer lasting results.
9. Drink Plenty Of Water
Dehydration is one of the main problems for migraine.
- Make sure that you consume at least 6 to 8 glasses of plain water daily to reduce the outbreak of migraines.
- You can also substitute one or two glasses of water with ginger black tea or some fruit juices.
10. Avoid Alcohol
You need to completely avoid alcohol if you are a person who suffers from migraine problems.
- Over consumption of alcohol might lead to severe head pain and you will feel your head to be very heavy the next day morning.
11. Omega 3 Fatty Acids
If you take a dose of healthy fats daily, then you can easily solve the inflammation problems in your body that can result in a person developing headaches and sometimes even pick up migraine.
- You can either take cod liver oil capsules or flax seeds or even salmon fish or other fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids in your diet to beat the migraine.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide Bath
Hydrogen peroxide is a good detoxicant that will reduce your headaches and pains.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide into a warm bucket of water.
- Take a bath in this hydrogen peroxide mixed water and pat dry. You will feel relaxed and free from headache.
- You can also soak your body in hydrogen peroxide mixed tub of warm water for 15 to 20 minutes and then take a good warm body shower to get free from head pain.
13. Taking Deep Breaths
Breathings deeply especially early in the morning everyday will help in freeing yourself from migraines.
- If you sense a migraine coming, start to take long but slow deep breaths.
- This will make you feel relaxed and hence there is every chance for migraine to go away.
14. Mint Or Chamomile Tea
It is advisable that you drink hot tea when you sense that migraine is going to engulf you.
- Adding a bit of honey to your mint tea or chamomile tea will help in easily reducing the effects of migraine.
- Taking one or two cups of mint or chamomile tea every day will help your body to relax and prevent migraines.
- Soak vinegar in a wash rug and place the cloth on the portion of the head where you are feeling excruciating pain.
- Allow the washcloth or rug to rest on the affected area for 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process two to three times to get rid of migraine pain.
Are you finding it difficult to cope with migraine problems? Do you want to stop a migraine from affecting you in its nascent stage itself? Then, you can try out any of the above mentioned home remedies to easily fight migraine pains.
My Health Tips