While we love to cook for our friends and family year-round, the holidays are a beast of an entirely different nature ( – that we love, but that requires a little more forethought). What was once a casual family dinner is now a multi-course meal for 20 people, and what was previously a thrown-together weekend breakfast is now a saga mostly spent at the stove, trying to get everyone’s meal ready at the same time. You know we love have recipe staples that are easy and delicious, and we’ve got this one for you today that’s super cute to boot!
Lumps of coal! Normally reserved for those on the naughty list, you can decide who gets these oreo coal lumps regardless of whether they’ve been good or bad. Similar in theory to a classic rice krispie treat, all you have to do to get these perfectly imperfect lumps is grind up some oreos and stir them into some melted marshmallows. Shape ‘em however you like, then toss them in a baggie, stuff ‘em in a stocking and you’re all set!
- 1 (13 oz.) package oreos
- 5 cups marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper and grease generously with non-stick spray. Also spray rubber spatula with non-stick spray.
- Place oreo cookies in food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Place butter and marshmallows in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds with rubber spatula, until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Pour oreo crumbs into marshmallow mixture and stir until everything is evenly incorporated, then press mixture (leaving the top uneven and shaggy) into greased and lined baking dish.
- Let mixture cool and set completely, then break into pieces and place in stockings or paper bag for “serving.”