A urinary infection can occur as a result of bacteria, by waiting too long to empty the bladder, by sexual relations, by pregnancy or menopause, among other things. The most common symptoms include the frequent need to urinate, small amounts of urine, a burning sensation when urinating, change in color of the urine, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting.
It is very important to act early, at the first sign of a urinary tract infection in order to prevent more serious damage to the kidneys. Although it is good to consult with your doctor, there are some homemade treatments which can help you to fight this problem.
1. Apple cider vinegar
- Put two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass and drink it. You can also add a little lemon juice and honey for better results.
- You should drink this twice a day.
- Another option is to put apple cider vinegar in your bath water and bathe in it.
2. Cranberry juice
Cranberry juice has antibiotic properties that help to prevent the bacteria E. coli from attaching to the urinary tract and causing infections. It is preferable to drink cranberry juice in its natural state, with no added sugar or additives.
- Drink a half a glass of cranberry juice each day to prevent urinary tract infections.
- If you have a urinary tract infection you should drink 3 to 4 glasses of cranberry juice each day.
Beware: you should not drink cranberry juice if you have a history of kidney stones.
3. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has a powerful antibiotic effect that can remove the bacteria that cause bladder infections and urinary infections.
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in your bath water and use it to wash the genital area.
- Another option is to prepare a mixture of tea tree oil with equal parts of sandalwood oil and juniper oil. You should apply this oil mixture to the abdominal region – the area near the bladder. This remedy is ideal to alleviate the pain which is normally produced by the infection.
- Another option is to put two drops of tea tree oil in your underwear which will act with the heat to fight an infection.
4. Horsetail tea
Horsetail tea has a powerful diuretic effect that can combat urinary infections.
- At the first signs of an infection you should drink two or three glasses of horsetail tea each day.
- It is not recommended to drink it for long periods of time.
5. Pomegranate juice
Due to its high content of antioxidants, pomegranate juice can help to fight the bacteria that adheres to the wall of the bladder. It contains an important amount of vitamin C, which fortifies the immune system and helps to fight urinary tract infections.
- Drink two or three glasses of pomegranate juice each day to fight the infection.
6. Garlic tea
Garlic is a food with antibiotic and antibacterial properties that can help to fight and prevent the growth of the bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections.
- Place two cloves of crushed garlic in a cup of hot water, let it sit for 5 minutes, strain and drink, at least three cups each day to fight the infection.
- Another option is to eat raw garlic every day.
Step To Health